Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and EU – U.S. Privacy Shield: What Businesses Need to Know
Do you have customers, clients or employees in Europe? Are you interested in selling to customers in Europe in the future? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, join us and learn about how the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) may impact your business when it comes into force on 25 May 2018. Failure to comply with the GDPR could result in stiff fines as high as 4 percent of your company’s overall revenue.
In 2016, the International Trade Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce launched the EU- U.S. Privacy Shield Framework to provide U.S. companies with a mechanism to comply with EU data protection requirements when transferring personal data from the EU to the United States. Over 2,600 companies use this program to transfer data. Privacy Shield can play an integral role in many companies’ overall GDPR compliance strategy.
Join the EACC, the U.S. Commercial Service and our partners for a half-day program designed to inform and help U.S. companies prepare.
- Isabelle Roccia, Senior Policy Advisor, U.S. Foreign Commercial Service
- Michelle Sylvester-Jose, Policy Advisor with the Data Flows and Privacy Team, U.S. International Trade Administration
- Joe Dehner, Member & Chair - International Services Group, Frost Brown Todd LLC
- For more information on data privacy, please see Joe Dehner's podcast: Data Privacy Detective - How Data is Regulated, Managed, Protected, Collected, Mined, Stolen, Defended and Transcended
- Find out why Europe is a key market for U.S. Businesses
- Gain in-depth knowledge about GDPR requirements including:
- Accountability & transparency
- Security and privacy by default
- Communication with your customers and business partners
- Discover how GDPR can impact your business including:
- What processes and tools should be put in place
- How to start the compliance process
- How to turn GDPR into a business advantage
- Learn about the Privacy Shield Program and how to apply:
- New Requirements under Privacy Shield
- Application and Review Process
- Know what to keep an eye on in the future